03 January 2009

Wii Tennis Pro

Bought my son a Wii for Christmas. He's pretty happy with it. I've been playing it a bit too; went through Metroid Prime Corruption on the days that the Portland area was in a Deep Freeze. Snowed in for 3 days makes Jack a little crazy - and bored. Fun but not much replay value, so back to Goozex it goes.

But now, I'm all about the Wii Tennis. Wii Bowling is nice and all, but it really just boils down to how consistently can you throw a strike. No change in the difficulty, just the chase for a 300 game. Best I did was 5 strikes in a row, no idea now how I did that because a double seems to be the best I can do now. The nicknames don't get better: 3rd strike is a Turkey, but 4th is just Fourth. Wii Tennis is way fun though. I broke in to the Pro ranks the other day, man that was a real struggle, seemed like I was stuck at 850 for days. Now I'm sitting at 1150. So I'm solidly in Pro territory.

Crazy thing was the other day when I won a game and lost 100 points of rank. WHAT. I was playing a solo-double game (me playing both positions) but was missing shots sometimes when I'd try to get in a late shot with the front position, miss and then be too late to get the ball with the back player (because both players swing at the same time when you're playing both). So I switch to doubles with the computer thinking it'll be better. My first computer partner is 600 points below me in rank. Ouch. But I go on to win against computer players rated at 1300; won 3-2 out of 5. Then I see the change in rank and I lost 100 points. What!? Oh well, next game. My next computer player is ranked 0. Zero. Against two computer players ranked 1500. What the hell. Went on to win, but still got a terrible point bounce considering: +50. Yeesh, so it's back to solo/double for me.

Where's the Wii Tennis League in Portland? Off to google it I goes. I'd rather be playing tennis indoors with booze in January anyway. Plus, I've tried like 3 times to sign up for real tennis lessons that aren't at 9AM and haven't been able to get in. Too much demand for the Wednesday night classes it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment